FONA 800 GSM Breakout Board Starter Pack
Build your own cellular project and get off the grid with FONA. This
pack comes with an SMA-antenna type FONA and paired with hand-picked
accessories. It's the Adafruit FONA - SMA Starter Pack.
FONA miniGSM is an adorable all-in-one cellular phone module that lets
you add voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little
This module measures only 1.75"x1.25" but packs a
surprising amount of technology into its little frame. At the heart is a
GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage
stamp. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little breakout
with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the
go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the
MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 8Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- SMA connection for external antenna
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
Microcontroller not included! We recommend an Arduino UNO to go along SIM card not included!
This Pack Contains:
- 1x Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout - SMA Version - v1
- 1x Right-angle Mini GSM/Cellular Quad-Band Antenna - 2dBi SMA Plug
- 1x Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 1200mAh
- 1x Mini Metal Speaker w/ Wires - 8 ohm 0.5W
- 1x Wired Miniature Electret Microphone
- 1x Cell-phone TRRS Headset - Earbud Headphones w/ Microphone
- 1x Vibrating Mini Motor Disc